PLC – Planar Lightwave Circuit Splitter
· Suitable for multiple operating wavelengths (1260nm – 1650nm); unstinted.
· Equal splitter ratios for all branches.
· Compact configuration; smaller size; small occupation space.
· Good stability across all ratios.
· High quality; low failure rate.
· Complicated production process.
· Costlier than the FBT splitter in the smaller
FBT – Fused Biconical Splitter
· The product is well-known and is easy to produce, thus reducing cost of production.
· Splitter ratios can be customized.
· Can work on three different operating bands (850nm, 131 Onm, and 1550nm).
· Restricted to its operating wavelength.
· Because of errors in equality insertion loss, the maximum insertion loss will vary depending on the split and increase substantially for those splits over 1:8.
· Because an exact equal ratio cannot be ensured, transmission distance can be affected.
· High temperature dependent loss (TDL). The operating temperature range is 23 °F- 167 °F. Any changes in temperature can affect the insertion loss.
· The larger the split, the larger the encapsulation module.
· Susceptible to failure due to extreme temperatures or improper handling.